WW2 Airfields of Oxfordshire - Bicester
 

Guestbook

References
Links
 

 

Optimised for viewing at 1024 x 768
A brief description accompanies each of the larger images - click thumbnails to view.
The Domestic Area

Points of Interest:

First developed in 1916 when a Training Depot was established. Americans assisted by providing an electrical power station.

Camp came into use by RFC in Jan 1917 when 118 Sqn was mobilised; later in Nov 1918 No.44 Training Depot Station arrives.

No 2 Sqn based here during 1919, later replaced by 5 Sqn (Bristol Fighters) on return from duties in France. Sqns later disbanded and Bicester closed in Mar 1920.

Airfield re-opened in Jan 1928, following several years of re-development as a bomber station. First aircraft were Hawker Horsleys (100 Sqn) , and then in 1935 Hawker Harts (33 Sqn)

In Nov 1934 the only RAF Sqn of Sidestrands arrive (101 Sqn, now at Brize Norton), to be replaced by Overstrands in Jul 1936.

A special feature of the Station was a railway line that lead straight to main stores!.

During the expansion period of the 1930's Bicester had a major facelift, resulting in much new accommodation, including the Officers Mess and Watch Office tower.

During 1937/38, Blenheim bombers arrive to equip 90 and 101 Sqns. At the outbreak of war 104 and 108 Blenheim Sqns arrive - supplemented by Ansons - and aircrew training commences.

In late 1939 a secret bomber - later known as the Halifax - is assembled here and flown to Boscombe Down.

King George visits on 19 Jul 1940. Many of the aircrew he meets later die during the next 14 months of war.

Also in 1940 Weston-on-the-Green comes into use as a satellite station, used for night flying training. Hinton-in-the-Hedges also used, and at Grendon Underwood a dummy airfield established.

Throughout the war , Bicester sees many changes of Sqns and Flights, mostly connected with or for aircrew training purposes.

Airfield becomes a non-flying unit in late 1944, and is transferred to 40 Group, Maintenance Command, later serving as a Motor Transport depot.

71 MU arrives in Dec 1953 for the repair, salvage and transportation of damaged aircraft. Is later known as RSS and based at Abingdon until 1993.

Oxford University Air Sqn arrives in 1959 (Chipmunks) and stays until 1975, when it then moves over to RAF Abingdon

Bicester closes as an active station on 31 Mar 1976, however flying conitues with gliders from the RAF Gliding & Soaring Assoc'n.

In the mid 1980's part of the Technical and Domestic area is utilsed as a storage site by the USAF, now departed.

In the late 1990's Bicester was due to be re-developed and most of the airfield built on. However, due to the historic nature of the airfieid and it's buildings this has now been - for the present - quashed.

RAF Bicester, in 50 years, never despatched one offensive sortie!

Utility Buildings
Watch Tower and Aeroplane
MGR
Main Drag
SHQ
Officer's Mess
Click HERE to view  airfields map.
The Hangars
Rifle range
Pill box
Rifle range
Hangar 180 internal panorama
Internal view of Hangar 108
Views of the hangar adjacent to Airfield boundary/main road
Hangar 108
Side entrance
Crewroom

Hangar 108

(May have previously been known as 'B' Hangar)

Office
Graffiti
Hangar doors
Sidewall
Empty hangar...
Wall Art from various locations around the Station
Views of the hangar used by the local gliding community
American Scout Wall Art found in SHQ
Views around the Domestic Site, which is still in use
Miscellaneous views of the airfield
         
         
The MT Section
 
         
 
     
 
         
Views around the Technical Site from the 'Loop' Road
         
         
         
Views around the Technical Site from the 'Loop' Road
         
         
         
More various views of hangars
 
 
 
 
The Fire Section
 
 
Station Headquarters

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kingston Bagpuize